Monday, October 15, 2012

Trip to the SKA

I'm a bit excited to be honest. I've never been to Perth or WA. To be honest I've never been more west that Kadina in South Australia.

So there will be a few firsts for me. I have been to see the Parkes radio telescope last year on a trip from Tasmania to Southern Queensland. I had vague recollections of seeing it as a kid on trips through the area, but its *big*. Much bigger than I remembered. The Parkes telescope inspired my reading and interest in robotics. Its one of the reasons that I got into computers and networking. Its also part of the journey that got me into Amateur Radio.

Well, the wheels have been in motion for a while now. Yesterday planning began for a trip to see the SKA! More details as they become available.

In the mean time, if you are interesting in big things, check out this video about the volume of data, comms and computing challenges the SKA faces.

73,

Kim VK5FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment